Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Easiest Recipe Ever






I often get asked by Brazilians to explain the difference between a cupcake and a muffin. I usually start by saying that it is more common to eat muffins at breakfast. But then I remember that Brazilians often eat cake for breakfast. And aren't cupcakes little cakes? So then I go the fruit and nuts route. Until I remember my strawberry and hazelnut cupcake recipes. So I have decided to sum it up by saying that I wouldn't frost a muffin. And I would never let a sprinkle touch one either. And I feel so much better...no matter the eggs, sugar, and flour in the recipe. A muffin is a muffin and a cupcake is a cupcake.

And a banana muffin made from the easiest one bowl recipe ever? Delicious. I never throw away my blackening bunch. Because this recipe is so fast. You can usually start and finish it before your toddler notices you aren't paying attention to her/him.

Ingredients:
3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Preheat your oven to 350F/180C. Pour the hot butter over your mashed bananas. Mash some more. Add the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Keep on mashing. Spread the baking soda and salt across the the mixture. Stir well. Add the flour. Pour the mixture into a greased cake pan or a muffin pan. Bake until your house starts to smell scrumptious. Today it was 35 minutes. But when you see they are golden around the edge and your knife comes clean, they are ready. If you want to get fancy put some dehydrated banana slices on top (before baking). And if you want and even lovelier smelling home, sprinkle some cinnamon on top (before baking).

And, by the way, mine are happily perched atop some new cupcake--err muffin--pedestals. These ceramic gems came out of the kiln yesterday. They are beautiful Heloisa!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Tammy,

    I am so happy about the pedestals, the photo looks very good with all the cupcakes...!

    xoxo,

    Lolo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dear tammy, how i love your blog....todas as feminices e tao lindo!

    by the way , comprei uma calca preta igual a sua aquela meio brilhante, hope you don~t mind.... beijos pra ti e little G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, I love your blog. I just made the muffins for my daughter and substituted olive oil for the butter (due to a dairy issue for her). She LOVED. Ate TWO. Great way to get her some good fat she needs (so far we've only been able to get that to her via avocados)+ eggs, etc. Thank you for the inspiration. Happy weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you nana, lolo and evy!

    Evy, I am so happy you tried the recipe! what a pleasure to post something and have someone use it! i am especially glad your little one liked it. : )
    georgia is addicted to "nana nuffins"
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and my husband ate THREE. i made 1/2 batch - obviously will be making more ! isabella knows the magic ingredient - she nodded knowingly and said 'nana!. a little younger than your georgia, bella is about 17 mos, and our one and only. and soooo the center of my heart. it is lovely to see and read another mama/daughter love affair. TGIF from Vermont ! :()

    ReplyDelete