Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Bucket full of Tangerines



"Mexerica! 3 Reias O Balde! Tangerines! 3 Reais ($1.70) a bucket."

São Paulo is full of impromptu "farmer's markets." And today, in the middle of a busy street, a man in a straw hat stood in the bed of his pickup swooping bucket after bucket of tangerines whilst singing (into a megaphone) about their sweetness and cheapness. Convinced me pretty easily.

What to do with a bucket full of tangerines? I contemplated scones and jelly. But since I have been rather generously making up for my first trimester of morning sickness, I decided it might be a good idea to incorporate them into a salad. Loving the combination of salty and sweet, I decided to marry the tangerines and olives today.

The recipe:
4-6 tangerines, pith ed, peeled and sliced
1 cup of pitted kalamata style olives
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of fine herbs
Salt, Pepper

Mix together. Toss on top of some arugula. I am planning on serving this salad with steaks tonight.

I still have 3/4 of a bucket of tangerines to go....

No comments:

Post a Comment