Friday, June 4, 2010

Cravings



I have to admit that I have been giving into my cravings: pickles, passion fruit Popsicles and Doritos. I've also been eating cans of whole peeled tomatoes. It seems I am into sour, citrus, and acid. Sounds delicious, no?

Today at the supermarket, a jar of salsa sang to me. It had a ray of light illuminating it...demanding a place in my cart. And even though I don't consider myself cheap, It was ten bucks for a single jar (imported products in Brazil are taxed and taxed and, quite simply, a rip off). It might be worth it if I savored the product over time. But I know it would be polished off in one sitting. And next to my salsa sat a meager bag (think peanuts on a plane size) of tortilla chips for another ten. I'd consider paying that price for those mega bags that you lose your elbow in (found primarily in American supermarkets) but even those are about $2.99 and the chips are shaped like little scoops for your salsa! So I left frustrated. And then, five minutes later, I returned to the market to buy all the ingredients to make my own salsa and chips--a party.

All you need is tomatoes, onions, cilantro (or parsley), cumin, peppers, lemon juice...and a bit of taste-testing. The chips were more complicated. I cut some flour tortillas in triangles and dusted them with oil and salt, baking them under the broiler for a healthier version.

Because, of course, I ate just about everything in one sitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment